The Perryopolis Parks & Recreation Authority (PPRA) was created by a 1969 resolution of Borough Council for the purpose of acquiring, operating and leasing park and recreation facilities in the Borough of Perryopolis. Over the years, the facilities acquired are among the town’s most significant historic, architectural and cultural resources. These include two structures listed on the National Register of Historic Places - the Old State Bank building (c.1816) and Searight’s Fulling Mill (c.1817), in addition to a reconstruction of George Washington’s 1776 grist mill, a c.1791 distillery and a mid-19th century bakery. Over 100 acres of recreational land (Sampey Park) have been acquired as the setting for most of the early historic structures.
The grist mill, distillery, fulling mill and bakery, all located along Washington Run, make-up one of the last, authentic, pre-industrial complexes in the country. The goal is to make these facilities operational with exciting exhibits and educational programs. The Perryopolis Area Historical Museum, located in the Old State Bank building, provides an overview of the area’s history for visitors, who can then visit the Washington Run pre-industrial complex which is approximately a quarter mile east of town center and three quarters of a mile off of the Great Allegheny Passage Trail.